22 February 2012

Zombie Wednesday: this is going to be the real thing, not infomercial.

Finally, somebody is making a guide to surviving a zombie apocalypse. I wish I'd thought of something like this ten years ago. Imagine how different our pop-cultural landscape would be today!

"Hi. I'm Simon Pegg, and I fight zombies, but not in this movie.
Furthermore, I did not approve this use of my likeness."

Pros: The FN-FAL rifle, pictured above, always looks cool, and reminds me of 1970s Doctor Who, since UNIT soldiers used the FN-FAL. (<Brigadier> Pegg! Chap with the bloody chin there. Five rounds rapid. </Brigadier>) However, it's only cool if you actually take the trouble to obtain the prop rifle, and take your own photo of it for your Kickstarter page; copping a still from another movie doesn't count.

Cons: the FN-FAL is overkill for a zombie scenario. Assuming that a head-shot is sufficient to take down the shambling undead, any flat-shooting caliber gets the job done. Why would you punish your shoulder with the recoil of a 7.62 x 51 NATO (or .308 Winchester) when a .22 WMR will do, and the widely available .223 Remington is more than enough? If the creator's implied advice regarding firearms is any indication of the quality of the rest of the advice in this "guide," I'm dubious.

Overkill.

For what it's worth, we have the creator's assurance that the project is grounded in reality: "I promise you that this is going to be the real thing, not infomercial, It's going to be real life scenarios where the zombie apocalypse comes to life. This is the Directors Reel, for a special look at what you can espect."

Sadly, and contrary to espectation, the link to the Director's Reel remains broken at the time of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment